Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Time To Return To The Basics

Photography is a constant change. New cameras, new lenses, new lighting techniques, new shooting styles, new software, and on and on and on. The industry may change every year or two, yet it revolves around the same basic photo principals and each photographer's interests. Part Math, Part Photographers Personality. PERIOD. We do this for the love of photography.

So there is no real wrong or right, just personal preference. The more personal, the better.

I am feeling a STRONG need to return to the most primal form of photography, portraiture.



Above is my good friend Autumn. She is an amazing young lady. One who has followed her own dreams and never looked back. She has been a tattoo artist in Chambersburg, PA for over 10 years, an artist, a photographer, and one of the nicest humans I have ever met. Cooler than cool, and down for anything in the name of art and creativity.

I was in town shooting an assignment, had 10 minutes to stop in, and I grabbed this very quick available light portrait of her inside her tattoo studio. Just an old $89 Nikkor 50 f1.8 that I love. It's FAST, it's LIGHT, and it takes up no room in my Domke bag. Can't beat shooting at 1.8.



The depth of field (DOF) is very minimal. One eye is sharp, one is way out of focus. Only part of the lips are in focus. You have to be RIGHT ON with the focus or forget it. But when you are RIGHT ON, it is magic.



If you look close in the reflection in her eye you can see my bald head and D3 death grip in effect.

So back to the basics, back to faces, faces and hands, full length, location, and details. I really need to shoot a personal portrait every day to push myself.

ViVa ThE FaSt 50mm LeNsEs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment